Shalifa's World

A Place for me to talk about life. Being a Christain I may talk about that, home educating, family, crafts, pets or any thing else that comes to mind.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Been following the Iditarod

Since some time in early January we have been preparing to follow the 2008 Iditarod Sled Dog Race. First we drew our map of Alaska. That was a job making a wall map from our atlas. We had trouble fining a few of the check points. I think they are the ones that are tents set up where a city once was or where they needed a check point along the route. We found Balto at the library and read it. how ever we had trouble finding many of the other titles that were suggested that we read. We did find one more modern book about the race but that was it. I will look when we are in other cities and read more as time allows. Still there is much to be gleaned from reading the many web sites and blogs that talk about. Next we were directed to pick a musher for our school/class. we I looked at the list of choices I thought now how will we do that! i read what others did but that did not sound right for us. So I looked over the list and found two names stood out. One had our sir name. So that was a natural to pick that one. Wanting the children to choose I wanted a few others. Next I saw one who has the same sir name as a couple of may cousins in Michigan. So in looking at him He had come in 3rd in 2006 2 in 2007. So he would be a good choice. In looking at a few others near those two I found one i would look at his picture and say "NO, not that hippy." Then I would read what his Bio said and say something is intriguing about keeping an eye on him as well. Not to mention the older of the two cousins with a same sir name of second one we chose reminds me of a hippy cousin who never out grew it and I still like to see him when I get to MI. He did stay with us for a little while, while I was in high school as he was moving back to MI from Wyoming or some place like that.

We at this point have two of our chosen musher's are in, one is still a day out or more?
8 finish Paul Gebhardt 69 bib Nome 03/12
12:17:47 11 dogs 9 days 21 hours 17 minutes 47 seconds
while
41 finish Clint Warnke 15 bib Nome 03/14
03:23:17 9 dogs in 11 days 12 hours 23 minutes 17 seconds

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

create your own visited states map