Shalifa's World

A Place for me to talk about life. Being a Christain I may talk about that, home educating, family, crafts, pets or any thing else that comes to mind.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

So this is Thanksgiving

Wow, life is different. We had invited a few friends yet no one could make it, this year. I should have kept track but I have not. So when did DS 17 first run the Turkey Trot? If I got it right this is at least the fourth year. Oldest ds has run it at least three now, or has it been four and 5 for the younger of those two. With dh starting running in January 2007. He had decided to run it this year. That would make four W's, since dh wanted ds 14 to run it, since he had run cross country this season. Well fine and good.

Only a while ago one Saturday morning the youngest boys asked to run a fun run. One mile at the park on a nice Saturday. So I ran and walked one mile as well. Then came Monday or was did it start on Sunday, Ouch! My legs hurt. I thought I do not ever what then to hurt like that again. The solution, as I saw it was to join dh in running. Or at least run the Turkey Trot. Well today was the day! I did not make my goal but I did finish the race. The up side of the hills did me in. So my time was a couple of minutes slower than what I was expecting AND the race was 1000 km shorter than what I was training for. sigh. I guess that is what happens when you train mostly in doors and on tracks all the time, then run an outdoor road race with ice one the sidewalks. As I walked in to register I thought I was nuts I was sliding all over. Still we ran in the roads with traffic! It is good there was a bunch of us runners. All ran the first mile together. Then the 7.5 milers kept going while we 2.5 milers turned to loop the next road back. Dad, and oldest ds ran together the 7.5 in about 55 minutes and 55:23. That last hill is a killer. All 5 W runners were running it in the last .1 of a mile. =-) That was neat. We were all urging dad on as that last hill was paying it toll on him too. Oldest ds made it look easy, running with his dad, But at best thinks he could have only beat his time by about 5 minutes, still impressive.

So we came home and made breakfast. Now the race started at 9 so we were hurrying out of there to get home at 10:30. Brunch was ready about 12:30 p.m. but all 5 runner had a chance to shower and have on fresh clothing.

Now for the other weird part. Thanksgiving at a restaurant! Yes, One of the best buffets in the Midwest started opening for Thanksgiving dinner about 5 years ago I think it was. I was told 10 to 6:30 I think. One of the people we had invited was ds 17's girlfriend (or our 6th child). Who has a job at this fine establishment. A benefit of having to work today is she is able to dine with 5 others for free after her shift. Her mom had her ask us. Now there are 7 of us, but dh said we can pay for the two youngest. So while dad had suggested it about 3 years ago and I was the one who said no you cannot do that! That is what we are doing this year. As wrong as it seams.

Grandma W lives too far away in FL, Grandpa W and Grandma NW, she just had surgery removing 1/2 her liver. Grandma M is with her caretaker! While Grandpa M is sadly missed by all.

I do hope all are enjoying there holiday, as I know this is the best one all year! I can be thankful for the fact we have our immediate 7 together as we may not have that many more.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

create your own visited states map